Job Title & Description: TKO Trail Crew Leader – Trailkeepers of Oregon (TKO) seeks qualified applicants to lead, educate, and inspire community volunteers in trail stewardship programs in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) trails.
Length of position: 12-month term, ﬂexible start date, preferably August 2018 through July 2019
Schedule: 40 hours per week, Wednesday thru Sunday
Location Description: Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area – Hood River, Oregon
TKO Trail Crew Leader Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with agency personnel to review current trail work priorities and establish 1-3 weekly events and work parties for Gorge trails over annually.
- While posted at FS work station in the Gorge (Scenic Area oﬃce and/or Herman Creek oﬃce), TKO staff person will work directly with field staff and TKO volunteers in volunteer coordination and project leadership, both before, during and after events.
- Typical stewardship program / work party results, satisfying objectives:
- Recruit and engage between 5-12 volunteers in each work party and;
- Establish an additional 6-12 TKO volunteer crew leaders allowing TKO stewardship work to continue after the 12-month internship position.
- Rehabilitate trails identified by the FS (currently, nearly 25 miles of fire-affected trails have been assigned and will be amended as other trail priorities).
- TKO staff person would support TKO Trail Workshop Series to train interagency field staff and local volunteers in trail building techniques 1-4 times per month. Depending upon the workshop – ie 10 participants in a rock wall building training to 100 participants in a tread and drainage weekend – building skills of the field staff and volunteer community.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
- Must have ability to legally work in the US
- Current First Aid & CPR required by the start of training: Wilderness First Aid preferred
- Experience working with and leading adult and youth volunteers preferred
- Experience with trail work skills and/or related skills preferred (i.e. trail maintenance, trail construction, carpentry, landscaping, and gardening)
- Ability to perform manual, physical labor for up to 8 hours per day, exposed to the elements and must occasionally lift and/or move 40 pounds or more
- Valid driver’s license for 3 years and MVR that meets SCA standards required
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
To Apply: Click Login or Sign Up. Create a profile, complete the basic application and then select Internship/Corps Application when prompted. Once your application is complete, please email [email protected] with the position of interest listed in the subject line so we may review your application.
Visit the position description online: https://www.thesca.org/serve/position/trailkeepers-oregon-intern/po-00724265