Conservation Begins Here.
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), America’s #1 conservation service organization seeks Apprentice Crew Leaders (ACLs) for the Pittsburgh Summer Community program. Apprentice Crew Leaders will work to increase their leadership & field management experience in order to prepare them for a Field Leader position in the future. They will assist in the management, implementation, and reporting of a high school student crew under the supervision of a mentor Crew Leader(s).
Program Dates: June 1st through August 8th, 2018
- Assist with pre-program preparations including student communication and any on-site duties (agency meetings, food shopping, camp set-up, member orientation, volunteer events, etc).
- Assist with supervision and motivation of high school students during field-based projects, such as trail building, invasive removal and habitat restoration.
- Assist with the coordination and teaching of environmental education & team-building activities.
- Assist with risk management duties including the completion of the crew Emergency Response Plan, Job Hazard Analysis, and minor incident reporting.
- Model SCA Risk Management Protocol including Take 5, tool safety and equipment use, food handling, and hygiene.
- Help to create a fun and productive atmosphere for crew members.
- Assist with the management of food, budget, gear, and travel logistics.
- Assist with program wrap-up & reporting.
- Must be 19-20 years old (one year out of high school), some exceptions may apply.
- Must have ability to legally work in the US.
- Successfully completed two SCA Youth programs, including at least one in the Pittsburgh area.
- Recommendation from a prior Crew Leader or SCA Staff member and demonstrated passion for the SCA mission.
- Must be able to attend and successfully complete Crew Leader Orientation & Conservation Skills Training: June 1st-25th
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Knowledge of tools and experience working on a variety of conservation projects
- Attentive to detail and responsive to feedback
- Self-motivated; ﬂexible and creative problem-solving experience
- Desire to mentor, inspire, and engage youth (ages 14-18)
- Ability to meet SCA’s criminal background check standards
Compensation: Wage is $11/hr, with 40 hour weeks during training (June 1-25) and 32 hour weeks during the field season (total of $3,432 for the summer).
To Apply: Send a resume and letter of interest to Darren Gruetze, Pittsburgh Program Manager at [email protected]
SCA is an EOE dedicated to workforce diversity.
For more information about SCA, visit us at www.theSCA.org
About The Student Conservation Association
SCA’s mission is to build the next generation of conservation leaders and inspire lifelong stewardship of the environment and communities by engaging young people in hands-on service to the land.